Friday, August 22, 2008

The Joy of Giving

At least a few times a week I try to do something to give my family and friends a boost--whether it be hooking someone up with a good doctor, scoping out a housing situation, or working through some sort of bureaucratic red tape. Nothing gives me more pleasure than helping my loved ones, truly. And this week has been especially lovely--helping a friend land a life-altering dream job and helping my nephew become the first in his immediate family to attend college.

During weeks like this, I realize that this is what I work for, and it is so worth it. If I never did another thing for myself, but I was able to keep helping people change their lives and realize their dreams, I would be happy. A friend from Ghana always used to say, "less talk and more action!" It's time to go back to action activism, where change is made with the touch of a hand and kindness in the eyes.

"Some work to live, some live to work, and then some work to help others live. It is the last group that changes the world."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home